Thursday, March 4, 2010

Explore more

For my second exploration I would like to point out that now I am done with my observation portion as well as have both of my interviews done. From this I have been able to answer many of my previous questions as will be shown in my final paper, but it does not mean that I don’t still have more. It is getting into the research using articles and such that I am now focusing my efforts on. Some of the more surprising things that I have found through my observations but more than anything, my interviews is that chefs tend to have a lot in common. They are much more a community then my original idea, in fact there are many things I found just from my interviews of two types of chefs that are shown. A large portion of this comes from just personality traits. Some of these can include their ability to not only cope with stress but rather strive in an environment that promotes it. This similarity may seem small until it is applied to how a kitchen works. It seems that this personality trait may be one of the most important things that makes a chef due to how incredibly stressful the kitchen can be, and how if you do crack or get flustered under that kind of stress, you will clearly not be in that line of work.

Some other questions that were answered and I am seeing similarities in are things like why did you choose the profession that you did. This is a very broad question that I found had a more limited answer then I would of thought. Many of the questions that had arisen in my first exploration that were very important to the basis of the community, were easily answered with the second one because I was able to interview someone from a more gourmet line of cooking, and then I took someone who ran a lunch trailer and their answered were still quite similar. Some questions though that I am still going to try to find out is what kind of personality is one that thrives so well under stress? If that kind of personality can be shown in other ways then just stress? I am still trying to find out what kind of accreditation is needed to for jobs, if it tends to just be on merit and skill alone, or if culinary institutes really hold that much on if someone is looked at for a job or just dismissed. Without going into too much more detail in my just second exploration it is seeming that with my specific community I am having much more luck with the interviews that with just looking for articles and such because there are a lot of personality traits that drive into that profession. I have begun to narrow down what I am looking at so that I can present a much more focused point in my paper, thought questions are still there I will have to find them out through print media, but I feel much more focused then from my first exploration.

No comments:

Post a Comment